How to Win Friends and Influence People Review
Each month the mastermind I am in picks a book to read and this month it was How to Win Friends and Influence People.
This book was first published back in 1937 and was written by Dale Carnegie, the principles it covers will work forever.
We can’t do everything ourselves, it is always a benefit to have access to other’s in different areas of expertise to gain new ideas.
I believe anyone who runs a company, has children, is married, has to interface with other people needs to read and apply what they learn from this book.
So basically everyone can benefit from How to Win Friends and Influence People.
If you want people to be interested in what you are proposing or what you like to talk about you have to put the emphasis on them. Let’s face it people are interested in what they want and if they don’t already have a relationship in some fashion with you it puts you at an even greater disadvantage.
If you take the time to learn about a person and get them to talk about whatever they are passionate about they will be more apt to hear you out in the future.
The number one thing is to be genuine when talking to other people, believe me if you are not it will be felt by the other person and you don’t want to leave them with the impression you are a fake.
Genuinely work on caring about others and you will have awesome results.
Find something you admire about a person and let them know, some people never have anyone say something nice to them and a small token of happiness goes a long way.
Find out what the person’s name is and do your best to remember it, people will respect you more when you do.
If you are having trouble with someone, bring up your own faults first and relate it to what needs to be worked on. It’s never comfortable being criticized and if you can bring the heat to yourself you may not even have to say anything critical to the other person.
These are the six ways to make people like you
- Become genuinely interested in other people.
- Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
- Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
- Talk in terms of the other person’s interests.
- Make the other person feel important, and do it sincerely.
These are the 12 ways to win people to your way of thinking.
- The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
- Show respect for the other person’s opinions. Never say, “You’re wrong.”
- If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
- Begin in a friendly way.
- Get the other person saying “yes, yes” immediately.
- Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
- Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
- Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.
- Appeal to the nobler motives.
- Dramatize your ideas.
- Throw down a challenge.
These are the 9 ways to be a leader.
- Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
- Call attention to people’s mistakes indirectly.
- Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
- Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
- Let the other person save face.
- Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be “hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise.”
- Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
- Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
- Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.
I believe How to Win Friends and Influence People can make a huge impact in everyone’s life, I mean who needs drama in their life everyday. If you can eliminate virtually all uncomfortable interactions with other people and feel better about yourself in the process isn’t it a WIN WIN?
One of the main things that will be tested while applying the principles you will learn in greater detail by reading the book yourself is that it will thoroughly test your ego.
The ego can really hurt growth so having something like this test it is a great way to put ourselves in check.
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my post on How to Win Friends and Influence People Review.